Helping Hands 2/20

Gallery Theater: An experienced volunteer bookkeeper is needed to pay bills and maintain financial records; for more information about this position, e-mail Volunteers are always needed to perform, usher, help mail newsletters, do fundraising and work on show productions, especially lighting and sound. For more information, call 503-472-2227 between noon and 6 p.m. Tuesday through Friday or visit

Special Olympics: Volunteers of all ages are needed to help children and adults with developmental disabilities train for athletic competitions in a variety of Olympic-type sports. Everyone involved builds sports skills, confidence, strength, motivation and self-esteem. For more information, call 503-472-5252 or 1-800-452-6079.

McMinnville Public Library: A free orientation for potential volunteers at the library will be held at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, April 9. Volunteer tutors for adults who need help learning how to read, how to write job applications, balance a checkbook and other necessary skills are sought for an adult literacy program at the library. For more information, contact Diane McMillen at 503-435-5551 or Also, volunteers are needed for weekly tasks including shelving books, magazines and audio-video material. Some jobs may be done at any time; others take place at specific times each week. For more information about these opportunities, call 503-435-5568.

Dayton CODE 1: Volunteers are needed to help with community projects at Dayton CODE 1, which also deals with English as a second language. For more information, call 503-864-4687 or e-mail

Family Friends: Interfaith Volunteer Caregivers is seeking volunteers age 55 and older to befriend children with special needs. The disability or chronic health condition of one child strains the family; Family Friends provide temporary relief for the parent. The Christian outreach program from Newberg hospital does background checks, matches volunteers with children and provides training. For more information, contact 1-503-537-1546 or e-mail

Sweat-equity housing: Yamhill Community Development Corp. needs volunteers to assist self-help builders construct single-family houses. Construction supervisors provide training for all tasks. For more information, call 503-434-5265.

CASA: County Court Appointed Special Advocates are needed. CASA volunteers serve as voices for abused and neglected children in court and advocate for their best interests. For information or to obtain an application, call 503-434-6668 or e-mail

Resource Connections of Oregon: Volunteers to share interests with adults with disabilities are needed in McMinnville and surrounding areas. Volunteers must be able to pass a criminal background check. For more information, call 503-485-2510, ext. 25.

United Way: Volunteers from Yamhill County are needed to assist in reviewing and scoring grant applications for United Way funding. The commitment includes two hours of training and a minimum of three hours of work on a panel to score education, financial stability and health project proposals. Volunteers must be interested and involved in the community. For more information or to register for training, e-mail or call 503-363-1651.

McMinnville Senior Center: Volunteers are needed at the McMinnville Senior Center meal site, Meals-on-Wheels, front office, computer lab, maintenance, classes and programs. For more information and to schedule an interview, call the Center at 503-435-0407 or the meal site at 503-472-4214.

Head Start: Volunteers are needed to provide classroom assistance, help in the kitchen, assist the maintenance team or do clerical work in the administrative office. Help staff build a foundation for children’s academic and life success. For more information, call 503-437-4100 or visit

Habitat for Humanity ReStore: Volunteers are needed to work in the Habitat ReStore. Shifts are from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday. For more information, contact or 503-472-9637.

Carlton Together Cares: Volunteers are needed to supervise youth activities. For more information, call 503-852-4405.

County Sheriff's Office: Volunteers are needed to create neighborhood watches, help at parades, patrol neighborhoods for safety and do administrative clerical work. For more information, call the volunteer coordinator at 503-434-7506.

Citizen Review Board: CRB volunteers are needed to help review cases of foster children once a month in Yamhill County. Volunteers will receive training to determine whether appropriate services are in place, make recommendations and advocate for changes. For more information or an application, call 1-503-731-8585 or 1-503-986-5905 or visit

YCAP food bank: Yamhill County’s regional food bank needs volunteers on its Food Recovery Team. The team helps pick up and distribute food. Volunteers must be able to lift 40 pounds easily. For more information, call 503-472-0457, ext. 152, or e-mail

Providence Hospice: Hospice volunteers at least 18 years old are needed in Yamhill County to help people facing terminal illness. Providence Hospice is at the hospital in Newberg. After free training, volunteers agree to volunteer up to four hours a week for one year. For more information, call 1-503-574-9498.

St. Vincent de Paul: Volunteers are needed to work in the organization's thrift store, warehouse and food pantry. For more information, call 503-472-2003.

A Family Place Relief Nursery: Volunteers needed to rock babies, play with toddlers in a therapeutic classroom, prepare food, serve as a bus buddy, to substitute for the bus driver, become a parent advocate, assist with fundraising events or help in the office. Potential volunteers are invited to tours at 11 a.m. the first Wednesday of every month; contact Elaine at 503-472-4020 or to reserve a tour. For more information about volunteering, e-mail

Long-term care ombudsman: Volunteers are needed to visit residents in long-term care facilities. Volunteers spend one hour a week with residents, who often suffer depression because of loneliness. The program is administered by the Office of the Long-term Care Ombudsman of Oregon. For more information, call 1-800-522-2602.

Gospel Rescue Mission: The nonprofit, faith-based mission in Northeast McMinnville needs volunteers for five-hour shifts to help with daily activities such as meals and overnight housing. Any volunteer help that would pertain to mission work is welcome. For more information, call 503--472-9766 or e-mail

Make-A-Wish: Volunteers are recruited to help grant wishes in Yamhill County and to raise money for the national organization's activities. For information, call 1-800-934-9474.

Signature Hospice: Volunteers are needed to support Signature Hospice patients and families living in the Yamhill Valley. Free training will be provided at the Signature Hospice home office, 25117 S.W. Parkway, Wilsonville. To pre-register, e-mail or call 971-224-2509.

City Outreach Ministries: Volunteers are needed to do translating, sorting, stocking and work at the intake desk for City Outreach Ministries. The office, at 1300 S.E. Brooks St., McMinnville, is open from 10 a.m. to noon Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. For more information, call 503-434-4392.

Chehalem Youth & Family Services: Property maintenance volunteers are needed to do gardening, painting, carpentry and auto repairs for youth group homes in Newberg. For more information, call 1-503-538-4874.

McMinnville Cooperative Ministries: Volunteers are needed for free Saturday breakfasts and in the church’s Community Compassion Fund. Breakfast is served from 8 to 10 a.m. each Saturday, and volunteers will help cook, plate, serve or wash dishes. No participation outside the breakfast is required of volunteers or guests. Community Compassion volunteers conduct intake interviews with local people in financial crisis; volunteers extend hospitality and listen carefully before connecting people to appropriate resources and allocating limited financial assistance. For more information, call 503-472-5622.

Engineering projects class: The EASA projects class is seeking docents with engineering or aerospace backgrounds to beomce mentors for robotics, International Space Station Experiment and aerospace design programs. For more information, e-mail or call 503-687-2423.

Northwest Senior and Disability Services: Volunteers are needed for the Disability Services Advisory Council to make recommendations on programs, policies and decisions. The council especially needs members who use or have used disability services. Agency headquarters are in Salem, but services are provided to seniors and adults with physical disabilities in Yamhill County. For more information, call 1-503-304-3473 or e-mail

McMinnville Free Clinic: Dentists and volunteers for McMinnville Free Clinic are needed. Dentists will staff the Medical Teams International van once a month in McMinnville; e-mail Social service volunteers will refer clients to local resources for three hours on particular Saturdays. Basic computer skills are needed; knowledge of local resources is helpful. For more information on the social services, e-mail or visit

CWISH: Volunteers are needed to take four-hour shifts at CWISH, a cooperative of five local churches offering warm overnight shelter during inclement weather, which may save lives from hypothermia. For more information, e-mail or call 503--857-9423.

Willamette Valley Medical Center: The hospital in McMinnville wants volunteers age 16 or older to greet and direct patients, assist with delivering food trays and with visitors in the gift shop, presenting daily menus and helping with blood pressure checks as well as helping sew layettes and other items for newborns of needy mothers. For more information, call 503-435-6327 or e-mail

Grand Ronde Tribal CASA: Adults are needed to become CASA volunteers to help Grand Ronde children in foster care. For more information, call 1-503-879-4623 or e-mail

American Red Cross: Disaster responders, educators and volunteer drivers are needed. Responders provide emergency relief to people who have been displaced by fires, floods or storms. Educators share the message of preparedness and safety with community groups, businesses and schools; for more information, call 1-503-280-1455. People with good driving records are needed to drive the Red Cross van from the Newberg area to Tualatin and McMinnville. Drivers receive free training in McMinnville; mileage may be reimbursed. For more information, call 503-472-1230 or 1-877-221-3072, ext. 3.

SafeShelter Host Homes: Youth Outreach is accepting applications for host homes to provide emergency temporary shelter for runaway or homeless local youth age 11 through 17. Applicants must pass background checks, provide complete biographical information, complete training and regularly attend support meetings; they receive a small monthly stipend and nightly allowance when providing shelter for up to 21 days per youth. For more information, call 1-503-538-8023.

Disabled American Veterans: Volunteers are needed to drive disabled veterans to the VA medical center in Portland. A valid driver's license, liability insurance and ability to pass a physical are required. For more information, call 1-800-949-1004, ext. 56958.

Scotty’s Playhouse: The Nazarene Church on the Hill needs volunteers to help oversee free, two-hour playtimes in its indoor playground on a regular monthly or weekly schedule. Training is provided; background check is required. For more information, call 503-472-8476.

Provoking Hope: Volunteers to help addicts recover through treatment at Provoking Hope are needed. The office for the “holistic,” evidence- and faith-based future treatment center is at 611 S.E. Davis St., McMinnville. For more information, call 1-503-895-0934 or visit

Homeward Bound Thrift Shop: Volunteers are needed for customer service and to price, clean and help arrange retail merchandise from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday. For more information, call 971-237-1604 or e-mail

Coast Guard Auxiliary: Flotilla 66 is seeking volunteers for boat patrols on Hagg Lake and the Willamette River. For more information, call 1-503-857-2924 or e-mail

Yamhill County Gleaners: Farmers willing to share their unharvested crops are needed; trucks pick up the farm gleanings and tax deductions are available. Donations of excess garden produce also will be welcomed. During the harvest season, volunteers also are needed to pick fruits and vegetables to be distributed to food pantries and the elderly or needy. For more information, call 503-852-9580 or 503-474-8007.

Valley Repertory Theatre: Volunteer designers for props and sound, to help with costumes, hair design, wardrobe, ushers, set builders and poster distributors are always needed for the theater in the Chehalem Cultural Center, 415 E. Sheridan St., Newberg. For more information, e-mail

McMinnville Parents Club: Caring people to provide quality child care in an adjacent room during a two-hour meeting each month are needed by the Parents Club of McMinnville. Activities, toys, books and songs will be provided. For more information, call 503-435-0974.

Cat Coalition: Volunteers to help with homeless cat rescue work, serve as feline foster homes or other assistance are sought. For more information, call 503-246-0808.

Chehalem Health & Rehabilitation Center: The Newberg nursing facility seeks volunteers for gardening, crafts, exercise, music and visiting with residents. For information, call 1-503-538-2108.

Your Community Mediators: Volunteer mediators are needed in Yamhill County. The nonprofit organization provides mediation and facilitation to the public. Basic mediation training, offered every other year, teaches how to address conflicts at home, work and in the community, and satisfies Oregon requirements. People to serve on YCM board of directors also are needed. For more information, call 503-435-2835 or e-mail

Medical Reserve Corps: Volunteer medical professionals of Yamhill County are needed to help with emergency and disaster responses. For more information, contact Marissa Mark at or 503-474-4933, e-mail or call 503-434-7479.

Henderson House: Training for advocates and volunteers will begin Monday, March 31. Henderson House operates a 24-hour crisis line and a safe, confidential shelter. Volunteers, who must be 18 years of age and pass a state of Oregon background check, advocate for women and children victims of domestic or sexual violence. For more information or to register, contact the volunteer coordinator at 503-472-0244 or

Suicide Prevention Coalition: Concerned citizens are needed to serve on the coalition. Goals are raising awareness, training, providing support and collaborating with other groups and schools to decrease suicide. For more information, call 503-883-2684.

Meals-on-Wheels: Drivers and substitute drivers are needed to deliver meals to housebound seniors who depend on this service to remain in their own homes. Volunteers typically deliver one morning a week between 10:45 and 11:45 a.m. Help is also needed in the kitchen with setting tables, washing dishes and party set-ups. For more information, call 503-472-4214.

SMART (Start Making A Reader Today): Volunteers are needed to read for an hour each week to children during school hours, October through May, at various Yamhill County schools. The only qualifications are to be able to read and to enjoy children in kindergarten through third grade. Training, support and books will be provided. Volunteers who cannot commit to a weekly session may serve as SMART substitutes. For more information, visit or call 1-855-391-8423.

Legacy Hospice Services: The McMinnville office of the nonprofit Legacy Hospice Services needs volunteers to visit terminal patients, provide respite to caregivers, assist with household tasks and errands, and offer bereavement support in McMinnville, Sheridan, Tualatin and surrounding communities. Comprehensive training is provided. For more information, call 503-472-9685 or e-mail or

Dundee Community Committee: Volunteers to help with events, planning and new ideas are sought. For more information, call 503-538-5657.

Senior Peer Counseling: Volunteers age 45 and older are needed to become peer counselors for older adults with depression, loneliness, anxiety, grief, changes in physical health or end-of-life issues. After free training from Northwest Senior and Disability Services Mental Health in Salem, volunteers typically spend 10 to 12 hours a month with seniors to provide free, confidential, supportive mentoring. Mileage is reimbursed. For more information or an application, call 1-800-469-8772 or e-mail

SCORE: SCORE is looking for volunteers to counsel and advise businesses and potential businesses in the McMinnville and Sheridan areas. Services include free advice on business and marketing plans, cash flow analyses and presentations for financial assistance. For more information, call 503-370-2896 or visit

First Presbyterian Church: Volunteers are needed to cook, set tables, serve, clean up and wash dinners for the Saturday community dinners, served from 5 to 6 p.m. weekly at the church, 390 N.E. Second St. A brief training is required. For more information, call 503-472-6256 or e-mail

A Family Place: Volunteers are needed to rock babies, play with toddlers, prepare food, provide back-up transportation, plan events, organize diaper drives, staff festival booths and spread the word about the Relief Nursery Classroom and other projects. Tours of the nursery are offered at 10:30 a.m. the first Wednesday of each month. For more information, e-mail or call 503-472-4020.

Oakwood Country Place: This McMinnville-based skilled nursing facility would like volunteers to offer crafts, gardening, woodworking, games, travel and companionship to residents. For more information, call 503-472-3141 or stop by at 421 S.E. Evans St.

Dundee Community Progress Team: Volunteers are needed to help provide activities for children and families. The team works through the Yamhill County Commission on Children & Families. For more information, attend a meeting at 7 p.m. on the first Tuesday of each month at Dundee City Hall or call 1-503-554-9025.

Homeward Bound Pets Adoption Shelter: Volunteers are needed from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. every day of the week at the no-kill animal shelter. The shelter is open to the public from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Saturday and by appointment on Sunday. Volunteers help by cleaning, walking dogs, gardening and spending time with cats and dogs. For more information, call 503-472-0341 or e-mail

Life Care Center: The McMinnville facility of this skilled nursing and rehabilitation company seeks volunteers to assist with bingo, trivia, bowling, scenic tours, lunch outings, board games and holiday events. For more information, call 503-472-4678.

Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum: The museum seeks volunteers to help with tours, greet the public, assist with special events, promote museum membership and restore aircraft and exhibits. Applicants will be asked to volunteer at least half a day each week. For more information, call 503-434-4185.

McMinnville senior meal site: Volunteers are needed to wash dishes for senior meals in the McMinnville Senior Center from 11:45 a.m. to 1 p.m. on weekdays. Also needed are volunteer drivers to deliver meals to homebound senior citizens at 10:30 a.m. Monday through Friday. To volunteer or for more information, call 503-472-4214.

ASPIRE: Volunteers are needed to mentor students with post-high school plans in the Access to Student Assistance Programs In Reach of Everyone program. Training will be provided. Volunteers work from one hour a month to one hour a week. For more information about ASPIRE, call the following high schools: Amity, 503-853-2181; McMinnville, 503-565-4270 or; and Yamhill-Carlton, 1-503-852-7600.

Prescott Bluebird Recovery Project: Volunteers are needed to monitor bluebird nestboxes in Yamhill County. A training workshop will be held from 9:30 a.m. to noon Saturday, March 7, in the Champoeg visitor’s center, southeast of Newberg on Champoeg Road. For more information and to register for the workshop, visit

Villas of McMinnville: This McMinnville senior living company seeks volunteers to call bingo, write letters, provide nail care and other personal services for their residents. For more information, call 503-472-3130 or 503-435-0100.