By Paul Daquilante • Staff Writer • 

Nephew threatens to kill uncle at his Carlton home

Thomas Greenslade


CARLTON — Thomas Greenslade, allegedly armed with a knife, reportedly threatened to kill his uncle after assaulting him Monday afternoon at the victim’s South Yamhill Street residence.

Before Greenslade drove off on his motorcycle, the uncle and another individual said they were forced to retrieve pipes and sharp pieces of wood in an effort to defend themselves against the knife-wielding suspect.

The 49-year-old Greenslade, a McMinnville resident, was arraigned by video Tuesday afternoon on one count each of attempted murder/constituting domestic violence, attempted first-degree domestic assault, harassment, menacing and unlawful use of a weapon before Judge Ladd Wiles in Yamhill County Circuit Court.

Attempted murder is an unclassified felony. The attempted assault charge is a Class B felony and the weapon charge a Class C felony. The other counts are misdemeanors.

Greenslade has a pending October 2018 case that includes drug and weapon charges. He violated a previous release agreement related to those charges, posted $1,000 bail and was released from custody in late April. He is scheduled for trial on that case at 9 a.m. Wednesday, Aug. 7, before Judge John Collins.

Deputy District Attorney Stephanie Harmon wanted the release agreement revoked and the bail amount forfeited. Wiles, for the time being, denied both requests.

He set bail at $300,000 on the new case and ordered Greenslade back to court for arraignment on a grand jury indictment at 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, June 18. McMinnville attorney John Druckenmiller will handle his defense.

Before setting bail, Wiles asked Greenslade if he had anything to say regarding his custody status, and he replied, “no, I’m OK.”

Harmon requested a no-bail hold, based on factors that include Greenslade’s “extensive criminal history dating back to the 1980s.”

She reported he has been in and out of custody on an annual basis. He’s been charged and/or convicted in multiple counties of some serious person-to-person crimes and has served prison time.

Harmon also asked for the no-bail hold to guarantee the safety of the victims in the Carlton incident and the public in general.

Carlton police officer Tim Jordan gave this account in a probable cause affidavit:

He reported shortly before 3:30 p.m. to a menacing call at the Yamhill Street address. He spoke with the victim, who identified Greenslade as his nephew. He said Greenslade entered his house, walked down to the basement with a knife and kicked him in the stomach.

Then Greenslade lunged toward his uncle with the knife and swung it at him. He ducked and stepped to the side to avoid being struck. According to the victim, Greenslade told him, “I’m going to kill you,” before and after swinging the knife which had a blade that measured an estimated three inches in length.

The uncle said he and the other individual present at the time armed themselves with pipes and the pieces of wood in order to hold Greenslade off and prevent him from possibly stabbing both of them. After that, he rode off on a motorcycle, and they believed he was headed to McMinnville, where he was located and taken into custody.

Anyone with information related to the case should contact Carlton Police Chief Kevin Martinez at 503-852-3805/, or Jordan at 503-852-3802/

In the pending case, Greenslade was indicted on two counts of possession of a controlled substance/heroin and methamphetamine and one count each of felon in possession of a restricted weapon, interfering with a police officer, menacing and unlawful use of a weapon. The weapon and one of the drug charges are Class C felonies. The other charges are misdemeanors.

According to a probable cause affidavit in that case, on Sunday, Oct. 7, 2018, Greenslade possessed a sword and a caller was concerned for the safety of the suspect’s mother. An officer contacted him at a gas station on Northeast Baker Street, and he pulled the 30-inch sword from a bag that was on his parked motorcycle.

Greenslade advanced toward the officer and another officer in what was described as a “bladed fighting stance.” Another officer arrived on scene, and the trio yelled at him to drop the weapon, which he did.

The suspect then advanced toward the first responding officer, who backed away before tasing Greenslade. Additional backup had arrived and he was taken into custody.

Seized from Greenslade, who is known to have a history of violence against law enforcement personnel, were two pocket knives and a quantity of meth. He was found to be in possession of heroin following his transport to jail.




I think in the second paragraph it should read the Uncle? Not the Nephew and another individual..... :)

Paul Daquilante

Bufordthe1st . . .

You are correct, and it does now. Was fixed earlier when a colleague brought the mistake to my attention.

Thank you,

Paul Daquilante/reporter


Dang--does this mean he won't be participating in the free needle exchange?

Web Design and Web Development by Buildable