By Associated Press • 

Portland scores late to beat NYC FC, 1-0

NEW YORK — Dairon Asprilla scored his first MLS goal late in the second half and the Portland Timbers beat New York City FC 1-0 on Sunday night.

A failed clearance fell to the feet of Asprilla at the top of the 18-yard box in the 79th minute and his deflected shot found the empty side of the net.

“I thought we defended really well and we found a goal,” Portland coach Caleb Porter said. “Sometimes, you've got to do it with just one goal and defending well. Typically, on the road, that's how you get results and that's how we got it.”

Portland (2-2-3) bounced back after losing to the other MLS expansion team, Orlando City, a week ago.

“It's huge,” Portland goalkeeper Adam Larsen Kwarasey said of the road win. “Last week we underestimated Orlando a little bit. They came out hard and they shocked us. They played really well and they deserved the win. We warned each other that New York might try to do the same today.”

NYC FC (1-3-3) had its winless streak reach five games.

“We're going to keep doing what we're doing,” NYC's Jeb Brovsky said. “We're going to keep plugging away because the results are going to come. We know that. Anyone who's been in this league a long time has known that — that the results will come.”

NYC's Khiry Shelton had close chances in the 88th and 89th minutes, but both shots were denied by Kwarasey. The second attempt was a one-on-one opportunity that Shelton stayed patient on, but Kwarasey came off his line and sprawled out to send it away.

“Absolutely unbelievable,” Jack Jewsbury said about his goalkeeper's performance. “I think that the last save in the 85th minute was obviously key and kept us getting three points. He was huge for us tonight and I'm happy for him.”

It was a quiet first half as Patrick Mullins’ attempt for NYC in the 16th minute was the only shot on goal for either side. NYC's Tony Taylor was taken off the field in a stretcher in the 34th.

Chris Wingert played a back pass to his goalkeeper in the 47th minute, but Josh Saunders mistakenly picked it up at the 18-yard line. Fanendo Adi's free kick deflected off the wall and fell harmlessly out of bounds.

Portland travels to face rival Seattle next Sunday.