By Paul Daquilante • Staff Writer • 

Sheridan menacing case resolved


Maley, 42, pleaded guilty in Yamhill County Circuit Court to one count of menacing, a Class A misdemeanor.

Judge Cal Tichenor sentenced him to 10 days in jail. He completed his jail time awaiting disposition of the case, but was also ordered to serve 24 months on probation and undergo a mental health evaluation.

One count of second-degree disorderly conduct was dismissed as part of a plea agreement between Maley’s court-appointed attorney, Steve Lindsey of Portland, and the district attorney’s office. Prosecutors dropped charges of pointing a firearm at another person, recklessly endangering another person and unlawful use of a weapon on their own volition, based on further review of the case.

In an unrelated case, Maley pleaded guilty to one count of carrying a concealed weapon, a Class B misdemeanor. In exchange, one count of second-degree disorderly conduct was dismissed.

Tichenor sentenced him to five days in jail, running concurrently and thus also completed.

The sheriff’s office gave this account of the New Year’s Eve incident:

Maley was seen leaving a local bar in an angry and agitated state. Witnesses said they saw him punching vehicles in a store parking lot.

Later, as he was walking toward his Hill Street home, he came across some people in the front yard of a nearby residence, and an argument ensued.

One of them trailed after Maley and spotted him brandishing what appeared to be a rifle on his front porch.

Maley told the man, “You might want to leave the area. There’s going to be a shootout with the cops.”

The man went home and called the sheriff’s office. When deputies arrived, a gunshot rang out and they took cover.

Deputies eventually concluded Maley did not pose a threat to himself or others. They decided to post one deputy to monitor the situation and remove everyone else.

The sheriff’s office gave this account of the ensuing New Year’s Day incident:

Deputies were informed about noon that Maley’s mother had arrived. She wanted to get him some help for his addiction and mental health issues.

However, they got into an argument and he ordered her out of the house. He then went into a bedroom and fired a round, prompting her to call 911.

About a half hour later, Maley emerged unarmed and started walking down the street. He was taken into custody without further incident.

Lindsey told the court Maley has a strong support system in place, and is receiving help through the county’s chemical dependency and mental health programs.

“There was concern about his mental state,” Lindsey said. “He was going through a detox stage. He was angry, agitated and delusional.”

Addressing the court, Maley said, “I’ve made mistakes, but I’m trying to do the right thing.”

Web Design & Web Development by LVSYS