By Paul Daquilante • Staff Writer • 

Amity will apply for COPS grant

After hearing his proposal, the city council authorized him to apply. The deadline for submitting requests is May 22.

The program covers 75 percent of the costs of a new officer for the first three years of a four-year term. The city would be responsible for the other 25 percent the first three years and 100 percent the fourth year.

Brown projects the total cost of the officer’s salary  and benefits at about $75,000 a year. It’s 25 percent share of that would work out to about $18,000.

James Clark, an Amity High School graduate and former city councilor, is the only patrol officer on the force at present. However, Brown does have a complement of six unpaid reserves.

City Administrator Larry Layton said the city could commit to covering its share the first three years and making a “good faith effort” to foot the entire bill the fourth year. He said he did not plan to include any matching money in the city’s 2013-14 budget, but said it could be added later, were the application to meet with success.

“The requirements are broader this year,” Brown told the council. “In the past, there was a focus on specific areas like school resource officers.

“We’re not big enough to limit an officer to a duty like the SRO. We have to incorporate that into our everyday work.”

Because COPS is a federal program, thousands of agencies around the country will be looking for help.

Given that, Layton said Amity’s bid has to be viewed as something of a longshot.

“The council would love to have a third officer on the street. There is no way we can afford it, so we thought we would throw our hat into the ring.”

In other business, the council:

n Appointed Karen Dahl and Christy Wilkins to the budget committee.

Dahl has lived in Amity seven years and previously served on the city council and the budget committee.

Wilkins has lived in Amity 11 years. She said she has helped manage finances in the Cascade and Newberg school districts.

n Learned Layton has completed work on the city’s applications for a park improvement grant.

The city is offering to pay $51,700 to match $147,861 in state funding. That would provide almost $200,000 to fund an array of enhancements.

Web Design & Web Development by LVSYS