By Paul Daquilante • Staff Writer • 

Sex offender charged with jail assault

Christopher Lewis, 38.
Christopher Lewis, 38.

Lewis, 38, was charged with one count of fourth-degree assault, a Class A misdemeanor, for repeatedly punching and kneeing Kyle Paulsen in the facility’s J Block.

Deputy Jason Gardner gave this account in a probable cause affidavit:

While monitoring video of activity in the block, Gardner saw Lewis throw 30 punches and deliver six knee strikes in an assault on Paulsen, inflicting a cut to the right side of his head.

Paulsen is also being held in the jail pending trial.

He has been indicted on the Class C felonies of first-degree criminal mistreatment and third-degree assault, after allegedly flying into a rage when his girlfriend’s 1-year-old son spilled juice.

In the attack, the boy suffered wounds to his right cheek, left cheek and right eye, bleeding in his right eye, abrasions on his nose and neck, and bruising on his biceps, buttocks and head.

Three days after the jail incident, Paulsen was granted a conditional third-party release to his mother, on conditions that include adherence to a 10 p.m. curfew.

Lewis was indicted on one count each of public indecency and unlawful contact with a child, Class C felonies, and endangering the welfare of a minor, Class A misdemeanor.

The public indecency count was charged to felony status because Lewis has previous convictions for first-degree sexual abuse and first-degree sodomy in 1996, attempted first-degree sexual abuse and attempted first-degree sodomy in 2003 and second-degree encouraging child sexual abuse in 2013.

The unlawful contact count was elevated to felony status because the Oregon Parole Board, which had previously classified him as a “sexually dangerous person,” reclassified him as a full-fledged “predatory sex offender” in 2002.

In a 2013 case, Lewis was sentenced to 60 days in jail and 24 months under post-prison supervision, with the stipulation that he have no contact with minors.

When charges were filed on the exposure case, the parole board handed down a 180-day sanction that will keep him in custody through Friday, Aug. 27, regardless of the disposition of the new charges.

Prior to returning to secure custody, Lewis had been confined to subsidy housing, spending his nights at the jail, but being free to spend his days outside, due to lack of any acceptable housing option for him in the community. He allegedly exposed himself during his free hours.

McMinnville police officer Mike LaRue gave this account in a probable cause affidavit:

About 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, March 3, officers responded to 707 N.E. Ford St. on a report of a possible sex crime. LaRue said he learned Lewis had exposed himself to a boy at the Community Corrections Day Management Center.

Lewis was wearing a GPS ankle bracelet at the time, allowing officers to track him. They apprehended him at Northeast Baker and 15th streets and took him into custody without incident.

The boy’s aunt and a probation aide both witnessed the incident. They were in a room adjacent to the room Lewis was in at the time.

Under interrogation by LaRue and probation officer Randy Settell, Lewis said, “I thought I could get away with it. I just did it.”

Lewis’ next court appearance is scheduled for 11:15 a.m. Monday, May 11.

Web Design & Web Development by LVSYS