Fire reported at Purina feed plant
Second alarm was sounded
Jun 23, 2014
Firefighters responded about 7 a.m. Monday to a two-alarm fire at Purina's Land O'Lakes feed plant at 102 S.E. Booth Bend Road.
McMinnville fire crews arrived to find heavy smoke pouring from the plant. They initiated an interior attack in the basement, where a rolling mill cooler had sparked, catching grain on fire.
A second alarm was sounded, due to the size and complexity of the plant.
Crews worked to extinguish the fire in the basement, then proceeded to follow the product transfer piping into the upper levels of the plant. They put out small fires and doused hot spots where fire has spread via the product movement system.
Units were recalled about 8:45. Damage was limited to machinery and product.
The fire was blamed on equipment malfunction. A loss estimate was not immediately available.
About 40 firefighters from McMinnville, Newberg and Amity responded altogether with 12 pieces of equipment. Crews from Newberg and Lafayette moved up to man the McMinnville station.
Only News-Register subscribers can access this premium content.
To subscribe, click here. Daily, weekly, monthly and annual subscriptions available; Starting at just $2.
Already an online subscriber, please sign in: