Fire damages several McMinnville apartment units
No injuries reported in Monday evening two-alarm blaze at the Brockwood Village Aparments
Sep 9, 2013
One upstairs unit at the Brockwood Village Apartments, 730 S.W. Brockwood Ave., was heavily damaged and three other units sustained lesser damage Monday night when a fire broke out at the complex.
Firefighters responded about 6:20 p.m. to the report of an apartment that was fully engulfed. As the first firefighters arrived, heavy flames were visible from the windows and a door in which the blaze started on the east side of the complex.
Firefighters determined there was no one inside. Flames could be seen on the roof and coming from under the eaves. Smoke was pouring from the unit and was visible from several blocks away. The smoke could be smelled from a distance, as well.
Firefighters first attacked the blaze from the exterior of the structure before going inside.
A majority of the damage was contained to the apartment of origin. There was minor fire damage to the adjacent upstairs unit. Two lower units sustained significant water damage. The four units are uninhabitable until repairs are made.
Six adults, one child and three pets were displaced. The Cascade Region Branch of the American Red Cross is assisting everyone with clothing, food, lodging and other support services.
Six units and about 40 firefighters from Amity and McMinnville responded to the scene. By about 6:40 p.m., flames had been extinguished and mop-up work was underway.
Unattended cooking in the apartment of origin was determined to be the cause, according to fire officials. There was no immediate dollar estimate on the loss.
See Friday's print edition for more information.
Only News-Register subscribers can access this premium content.
To subscribe, click here. Daily, weekly, monthly and annual subscriptions available; Starting at just $2.
Already an online subscriber, please sign in: