By Paul Daquilante • Staff Writer • 

Y-C worries about enrollment slippage

“We’re losing students,” he said. “It’s a downhill trend that’s continued. I think we have to actively recruit students from other districts.”

Enrollment was 382 on March 5, encompassing 102 freshmen, 92 sophomores, 85 juniors and 103 seniors. At the same time last year, it stood at 405.

Cline is projecting an opening enrollment next school year of 366. That’s because a freshman class of 102 is going to be replaced by an eighth grade class of just 83.

In his board report, Cline said the administrative staff is in the initial phase of 2013-14 budget development. Student enrollment has been matched to personnel projected to be available next year.

Regardless of any constraints the district may face, he said the budget will be based on a full school year, not one of reduced proportion.

He said he would like to see the district take some steps to bolster its athletic program. He said one means would be to reinstate junior varsity sports and the other to eliminate participation fees.

In other business, the board approved appointment of John Donehoo, Gordon Dromgoole and Murray Paolo to another year on the budget committe.

The next regular board meeting is scheduled for 7 p.m. Monday, April 8. A work work session will be held at 6:45.


Web Design & Web Development by LVSYS