Truck rolls, spilling chickens in downtown Salem
Jul 9, 2013
SALEM — A truck with bins of chickens on its bed rolled in downtown Salem Tuesday morning, spilling birds onto the street.
Police Lt. Dave Okada said officers estimated roughly that a thousand chickens were aboard and called for help from the local Humane Society.
The Salem Statesman Journal reported (http://stjr.nl/12WAEFi ) some birds lay lifeless in the street, and others walked slowly in circles.
There was no immediate estimate of the number of chickens killed.
The driver was taken to the hospital as a precaution.
Police say the accident was caused either by excessive speed or a shift in the load.
Only News-Register subscribers can access this premium content.
To subscribe, click here. Daily, weekly, monthly and annual subscriptions available; Starting at just $2.
Already an online subscriber, please sign in:
• Mac on a roll (4682)
• Abused Sheridan boy improving (3854)
• Reaching the Century Club (3560)
• Seniors sent off in style (3143)
• FCI escapee captured (3049)
• State playoff, play-in games on tap (2886)
• What's your phobia? (2591)
• Good to engage owners along trail (1954)
• Mac on a roll (1)