School districts react to icy road conditions; most two hours late
Icy road conditions this morning in the Yamhill Valley have forced some local school districts to alter their bus and classroom schedules.
What the districts are reporting:
. . . Dayton: Two-hour late start and no morning kindergarten.
. . . Gaston: Buses will run on snow routes.
. . . McMinnville: Two-hour late start and no morning kindergarten.
. . . Sheridan: Two-hour late start. The Cherry Hill bus will operate on a snow route.
. . . Willamina: Two-hour late start.
. . . Yamhill-Carlton: Two-hour late start and no morning kindergarten. Buses will run on snow routes.
Head Start of Yamhill County reports Newberg classes will be held. Dayton, McMinnville, Sheridan/Willamina morning classes are cancelled. Afternoon classes are on schedule.
More information will be posted as it becomes available.
Law enforcement and medical personnel have responded to numerous motor vehicle crashes this morning, according to Yamhill Communications Agency radio traffic. Most have been reported on rural roads. Some injuries have been reported. Moisture that froze overnight and created black ice, and freezing fog in various locations have contributed to the crashes.
The Oregon Department of Transportation suggests you allow plenty of time to reach your destination, slow down, increase the distance between your vehicle and the vehicle in front of you and expect delays.
Go to www.tripcheck.com for the latest road conditions.
The National Weather Service forecast for McMinnville:
* Today: A slight chance of rain and snow before 10 a.m. Areas of freezing fog before 10. Snow level 200 feet. Mostly sunny, with a high near 40. Calm wind becoming east northeast around 5 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 20 percent.
* Tonight: Patchy freezing fog after 10 o'clock. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25. Calm wind.
* Saturday: Patchy freezing fog before 10 a.m. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 38. Calm wind becoming north/northeast around 5 mph in the afternoon.
* Saturday night: A slight chance of rain and snow showers. Patchy freezing fog after 10 o'clock. Snow level 200 feet. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 29. Light north/northeast wind. Chance of precipitation is 20 percent.
* Sunday: Patchy freezing fog before 10 a.m. Partly sunny, with a high near 38. North/northeast wind around 6 mph.
* Sunday night: Patchy freezing fog after 4 o'clock. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 30.